The football season starts on Saturday evening
Florida A&M (0-0) at North Carolina (0-0)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina • Saturday, August 27, 2022 • 8:20 p.m. ET
Kenan Stadium (50,500) • ACC Network
Carolina Football Media Center
Series vs FAMU: First meeting
Series of Series: N/A
Last meeting: N/A
Last UNC win: N/A
Record: 0-0 (0-0 ACC)
The Head Coach: McBrown (Florida State, 1974)
Overall record: 265-139-1, 34th year
UNC Record: 90-63-1, Grade 14
Record: 0-0 (0-0 SWAC)
Head Coach: Willie Simmons (Clemson, ’02)
Overall record: 45-21, Grade 8
Record at FAMU: 24-10, 5th year
Kickoff: 8:20 p.m. ET
ACCN: Matt Barrie, game by game; Tim Hasselbeck, analyst; Kelsey Riggs, sideline
Tar Heel Sports Network: Jones Angell, game by game; Brian Simmons, analyst; Lee Pace, sideline
Satellite Radio: Sirius (84), XM (84), App (84)
Website: A live radio broadcast from the Tar Heel Sports Network is available on UNC’s official sports website, GoHeels.com, as well as through the TuneIn app.
HBCU CELEBRATION GAME
The University of North Carolina and Florida A&M University will open the 2022 football season in Chapel Hill on Saturday, August 27 with events and activities planned around the weekend to celebrate historically black colleges and universities.
• HBCU great coaches Bill Hayes and Rod Broadway will serve as honorary captains for North Carolina. Coach Hayes has spent 27 seasons as a head coach, won two Black Football National Championships, and is the winningest coach at North Carolina A&T and Winston-Salem State. Coach Broadway has served as head coach at North Carolina Central, Grambling State and North Carolina A&T. He posted a career record of 125-45 and is the only coach to have won a national black football championship at three different schools, winning five national titles in total. Broadway also spent two seasons coaching the defensive line in North Carolina and played for the Tar Heels from 1974 to 1977, earning All-ACC honors as a senior.
• FAMU has invited Rattler legend Rudy Hubbard to become its honorary captain. Inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2021, Hubbard served as FAMU’s head football coach from 1974 to 1985, compiling an 83-48-3 record. He led the Rattlers to two Black college football national championships and the I-AA national title in 1978. For all of his accomplishments, Hubbard was inducted into the FAMU Hall of Fame in 1990.
TAR HEELS AND RATTLERS
North Carolina and Florida A&M will meet on the football field for the first time at the 2022 season opener on Saturday, August 27 in Chapel Hill.
• The game will be the first time the Tar Heels have played in week zero of the college football season.
• Carolina is 5-4 in all games played in August. The first event was in 1993 when the Tar Heels defeated USC, 31-9, in the Disneyland Pigskin Classic.
• The only never-before-played game that fell earlier on the schedule than this year’s opener was the 2001 road game with Oklahoma on August 25 in Norman, Okla. The Sooners came away with a 41-27 victory.
• Carolina’s last game in August was McBrownThe first game back as Tar Heels head coach of 2019. UNC beat longtime rival South Carolina, 24-20, in Charlotte, North Carolina.
SEASON OPENING SUPERLATIVES
• UNC is 84-43-4 in season openers, including a 37-32 record since the ACC’s inception in 1953.
• McBrown is 26-7 all-time in opening games of the season, including 10-3 as UNC head coach.
• Carolina visits Appalachia State on Saturday, September 3 on ESPU at noon ET