BBL news 2022: Chris Lynn signs with Adelaide Strikers in unprecedented deal, cricket news

Former Brisbane Heat captain Chris Lynn, the Big Bash League’s all-time leading scorer, has signed for the Adelaide Strikers after agreeing an unprecedented deal with Cricket Australia.

Lynn will be available for 11 of the Strikers’ 14 home and away matches this summer after reaching a compromise with CA that allowed him to compete in a high-paying overseas domestic league during the BBL window.

Watch The Hundred. Every game live and exclusive to Fox Sports on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

After the Heat opted not to renew his $200,000 contract earlier this year, Lynn signed for the newly created United Arab Emirates T20 International League, which would have offered players up to $650,000 for five weeks. of work.

The Queenslander has been unveiled as one of 21 marquee signings in the UAE competition, casting doubt on his participation in the Big Bash League this summer.

But despite not having held a CA or state contract since 2019, Lynn is required under ICC guidelines to obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the board, which had to give him permission to play abroad during the summer at home.

As part of the historic deal with CA, Lynn will miss the Gulf Giants’ season opener, which begins Jan. 6, copying a substantial financial windfall in the process.

Lynn was allowed to join the ILT20 from January 20; his final Strikers game before leaving the country will be against his former club Brisbane at Adelaide Oval on January 14.

“Each question regarding a release for overseas competitions is subject to the circumstances of the individual,” a CA spokesperson said in a statement.

“Our guiding principle remains the prioritization and protection of Australia’s national cricket summer and the interests of the game as a whole.”

The 32-year-old will be one of several top Big Bash cricketers to travel overseas midway through the tournament to join the ILT20 or South Africa’s private domestic competition.

However, several of those players will be replaced by Australian Test stars like Marnus Labuschagne and Alex Carey after the highly anticipated New Year’s Test against South Africa.

Lynn has amassed a record 3,005 BBL runs at 34.54 with a towering strike rate of 148.83 since the competition’s inauguration in 2011.

He was not only one of the Heat’s founding players, winning a BBL title with the Brisbane-based club in 2013, but he also served as captain for several years.

The Heat effectively sacked Lynn after his disappointing 2021/22 campaign, where he recorded 215 points in 12 games at 17.91.

But the powerful right-hander has been in impeccable form this winter, recently hitting an unbeaten 113 from 57 balls in the T20 Blast to equal his highest individual tally and set up a win in Northamptonshire.

“I will come to Adelaide fit and strong and ready to score a bunch of points and more importantly put on a show for the fans, who are the backbone of the Adelaide Strikers,” Lynn said.

“It’s always such a great atmosphere to walk into Adelaide Oval, and not only that, but going over the bridge on match day, the atmosphere in the city is great. I know the fans will be out in force this summer.

“I would like to thank Cricket Australia for their cooperation as well as the Adani Group of the Emirates, they have been really proactive in understanding the situation.

“Without these guys and CA working together, this wouldn’t be possible. I have a lot of respect for these guys.

According cricket.com.auLynn is expected to earn a six-figure sum for her brief stint at Big Bash.

“We all know the qualities that Chris Lynn brings to the table,” Strikers head coach Jason Gillespie said in a statement.

“He’s a proven winner, an experienced leader and a great character to have around the group.

“His record speaks for itself. We are delighted to have him and know he can play an important role for us this summer.

Lynn’s signing is a much-needed boost for the Big Bash League, which came under scrutiny last summer for its lackluster talent.

CA is desperate to rekindle interest in the T20 contest, which struggled to capture public attention last season ahead of broadcast rights negotiations.

Earlier this year, The Daily Telegraph revealed that free-to-air broadcaster Channel 7 had taken legal action against CA in an attempt to terminate its television rights deal.

According to the News Corp report, Seven is adamant the cricketers who featured in last summer’s BBL were not of a high enough quality for the competition to meet the standard provisions stipulated in the TV rights contract. this side.

However, the Big Bash have already secured the services of former South African captain Faf du Plessis, New Zealand paceman Trent Boult and Australian superstar David Warner for this summer’s tournament.

Adelaide will look to strengthen their squad in Sunday’s first BBL draft, where the club hope to retain Afghan spinner Rashid Khan.

“Most of the players who are in that platinum range are only available for eight or nine games because they’re going to South Africa or the United Arab Emirates,” said Jarrod Harkness, performance analyst at Strikers. cricket.com.au this week.

“So basically if you’re going to take a platinum-level player, then you’re looking at someone who will only be here for the first half of the tournament.

“And as we have seen over the years, Rashid is one of the best players, if not the best player in the world.

“So given that these other high quality players are only here for half the tournament, just like Rash, he’s definitely someone we would very much like to have here again.”

The Strikers’ season begins at Adelaide Oval on December 14, against the Sydney Sixers.

Read related topics:Adelaide Brisbane

Comments are closed.