Barcelona open to offers for USMNT defender Sergino Dest in January


USA international Sergino Dest is one of the players Barcelona are willing to listen to offers for in January to help fund further signings, sources have told ESPN.

Barca have made stepping up their attack next month a priority but need to move players before they can even consider bringing in someone else.

– ESPN + Guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN + (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately

Given the club’s struggles to find new clubs like Philippe Coutinho, Samuel Umtiti and Neto in recent transfer windows, sources told ESPN that Barca are now open to offers for players they previously wanted. to keep.

Dest, 21, falls into this category, with sources claiming Bayern Munich are one of the clubs interested in the USMNT international.

Barca signed Dest from Ajax for € 20million in 2020, beating Bayern on signing. The German club have, however, kept in touch with the player ever since and probed a loan earlier this year with an option to make the deal permanent next summer for around € 25million.

Meanwhile, Barca have signed 38-year-old Dani Alves for a free transfer to add competition to the right-back. ESPN also recently revealed that the Catalan club are keen to sign Cesar Azpilicueta when his contract with Chelsea expires in 2022.

Dest became a regular with Ronald Koeman soon after joining Ajax. He made 41 appearances in his first full campaign at Camp Nou, but injuries have disrupted his second season at the club, limiting him to just 16 games so far in all competitions.

After recovering from a back problem, he missed Barca’s last two games, including Tuesday’s 1-1 draw at Sevilla, with an adductor problem.

Sources told ESPN he will be “100% fit” after the Christmas holidays, with Barca next game in Mallorca on January 2 in La Liga, and that he will focus on the impression of the new manager Xavi and on winning back his place on the team.

However, the player’s side have also been told that Barca will consider any offer he makes to them in January if it makes financial sense for the club.

Barca director of football Mateu Alemany confirmed on Tuesday that there must be exits before they can sign next month, with Manchester City striker Ferran Torres being their main target.

The club operate with a La Liga-imposed spending cap of € 97million this season, so they will only be allowed to spend 25% of any savings they realize in the immediate future.

Sergio Aguero’s retirement due to heart disease has given them some leeway, but Alemany says they still have a lot of work to do to satisfy Coach Xavi’s desire to arrive in January.


Comments are closed.